Rotary members are united by our belief in humanitarian service, encouraging high ethical standards in all vocations, and to help build goodwill and peace in the world.
Rotary membership provides the opportunity to become connected to your community and assist with Rotary International’s humanitarian service efforts. Rotary was born in Chicago, Illinois on February 23, 1905. The main objective of a Rotary club is service — in the community, in the workplace, and throughout the world. Rotary International has developed a broad range of programs designed to help clubs carry out this vital mission. Some of these programs have been underway for many years, while others have been developed more recently to meet emerging needs.
Rotary’s community development programs address many of today’s most critical issues – hunger, the environment, literacy, to name a few. Rotary International also offers programs that focus primarily on young people, including service clubs for high school students and young adults, leadership training workshops, and student exchanges.
The international component of Rotary International programs enables clubs and districts to assist Rotary efforts abroad and to share information and arrange exchanges with Rotarians in other countries. Vocational concerns figure in many club and district projects designed to promote high ethical standards in the workplace and to help people from all walks of life.
OBJECT OF ROTARY
The object of Rotary is to encourage and foster the ideal of service as a basis of worthy enterprise and, in particular, to encourage and foster:
- the development of acquaintance as an opportunity for service;
- high ethical standards in business and professions;
- the recognition of the worthiness of all useful occupations;
- and the dignifying of each Rotarian’s occupation as an opportunity to serve society;
- the application of the ideal of service in each Rotarian’s personal, business, and community life;
- the advancement of international understanding, goodwill, and peace through a world fellowship of business and professional persons united in the ideals of service.
For more information, please visit the Rotary International website by clicking here.